I suggest you ...

Improve text formatting

Better support for formatting styles, such as bold, italics, and chapter heads.

321 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Patrick ThompsonAdminPatrick Thompson (Founder, Inkstone Mobile, MegaReader) shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

A clarification: MegaReader v2.6 adds support for HTML formatting within EPUB files, but it still does not support CSS formatting. CSS is a bit more complicated and I need to weigh how I can best support it without sacrificing the customizability of MegaReader. While the text formatting is improved in 2.6, and quite good for most books, there are some books, which rely exclusively on CSS formatting, that will still be lacking in MegaReader. For this reason, I am changing the status of this idea from “completed” to “under review”. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and support! -Patrick

31 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • kyteflyerkyteflyer commented  · 

Good one, Patrick. Its nice to see whats been done so far, but like Alexander and others say, its not there yet. Looking forward, very much, to when it is.

• Geoffrey KiddGeoffrey Kidd commented  · 

One thing that might be done is to make CSS support, when implemented, switchable, possibly on a per-book basis. There are some books where I've noticed that they attempt to implement the formatting/layout dictated by CSS and on small-screen devices such as phones, it totally screws up the looks and ease of reading.

• Alexander AvenariusAlexander Avenarius commented  · 

I must say, too, this task shouldn't be marked "Completed" unless it really is. Here is a link to a basic EPUB bold/italic test file: http://db.tt/3JmK1RTh It should be displayed 100% correctly in MegaReader.

• Wyndham ClampettWyndham Clampett commented  · 

I have to agree with Evan. Still not there with regard to formatting.

MegaReader now has some nice features, but Stanza is still better.

Two particular gripes: missing colour in the text, especially headings. And, headings should never be justified. It just looks daft.

• evan bernsteinevan bernstein commented  · 

I agree that you have completed 'better' support for formatting styles with the release of 2.6 (yay!).

But I wouldn't consider this item closed until you can handle full CSS (or at least italics/bold that are within CSS). My understanding, based on the beta, was that you only support those explicit tags.

Oh I've only just come back and see you've started on this, Patrick. Well done, hope theres an update soon. This will be the thing to get me to make the switch, completely. Perhaps it will be safe after all, to update to IOS6 :)

• Edward BearEdward Bear commented  · 

Thank you. If MegaReader can handle the font formatting in the ePub edition of Catherine Asaro's "Carnelians", I will be very glad to have a reader program the Dread Pirate Bezos can't strangle.

• JasonJason commented  · 

I love this app but bold, italics, etc. formatting would really be great... in one series of books, every chapter starts with a short conversation that is in italics for a couple of paragraphs and then the main story starts... without italics, it's sometimes quite difficult to tell when the main story starts! Thanks so much for all your hard work.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

This is a MUST HAVE for me. Currently I'm converting to .mobi to read with my Kindle app. I've been waiting for this from Megareader since Stanza went belly up. Hopefully it will be coming soon? Any update Patrick??

• instituteinstitute commented  · 

If this is implemented im in fulltime

Come on Patrick... its been 6 months since you said you were moving on it "fairly quickly" but still, no text formatting. At the very least we should be getting distinction between headers and body text, not to mention italics/bold/underline etc. Please do something about this SOON. I'm *still* using Stanza.

Looks like its been a while since this one was brought to the surface. Kudos for the side loading and author pages for their books listing. Its time to move on this one, now, I believe. I am almost ready to switch from Stanza.

• THTH commented  · 

You have been granted a reprieve :) , as Stanza has been updated to work under iOS 5, but with an official "this is it, we're done" not from amazon, so please take your time and do it right.

Beautiful and customizable text-layout (along with good library management features) is the key feature of any book reader. Thanks for moving on our suggestions.

• Steve GrantSteve Grant commented  · 

Yay! Thanks, Patrick; will be looking forward to it showing up as soon as you can get to it. Have been using MegaReader for three days now (after having just lost Stanza due to iOS 5 "upgrade") and overall am pretty happy with it. Thanks for including the 26(?) books with its installation--good idea.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

Really glad to see this getting addressed. It is the main thing that I would like to see implemented--so that reading my epubs will be easier (character thoughts, etc.) Thanks for your efforts to address users concerns--it is wonderful to see a developer really take the time to actually pay attention to reasonable requests and try their best to meet the users needs.

• NeilNNeilN commented  · 

Agreed. Fancy organization features don't matter if a user can't read the text properly.

• Geoffrey KiddGeoffrey Kidd commented  · 

Thank you. For me, inability to see italics etc. as the author and publisher intended is a usage deal-breaker. I upgraded my 32GB iOS5 phone to a 16GB iOS4 phone just to get Stanza back.
        I plan to return to MegaReader to check it out after this feature's been implemented.

• Steve GrantSteve Grant commented  · 

Absolutely... just removed two other votes to give them to this, for all the reasons others have given below. Authors use italics (especially) for a reason, and it's crucial to maintain them for clarity and easy comprehension.

• Chris HoffmannChris Hoffmann commented  · 

I've decided this is my #1 request as well. Especially if this request includes hyperlinks. If hyperlinks becomes a separate issue then that would be my top request and this second. Personally, nothing I've read so far made much use of text formatting but I can see how the lack of it would be a real problem in some books.

• David AllenDavid Allen commented  · 

This is also my number 1 request. I want the default appearance of the book to be as close to what the ebook designer intended as is practical, given limitations of screen size, available fonts etc. Book layout first, then book navigation and reading aids, then library organisation, then remote access.

The ideal situation would be to start honouring the ebook styles but to allow individual aspects to be over-ridden. Most important is to show italic and bold text since that has a strong effect on comprehension. Images are highly desriable. It's desirable to honour styles for titles and other parts of the book.

It's desirable to be able to selectively over-ride settings like paragaph spacing and indents, but that's probably a separate request so I won't say more.

This forum is great and so far the developer is starting to deliver - I suggest toning down disapproval from some posters if you want to get the best possible response.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base